Sunday, July 29, 2012

Classroom FaceLift

To say I am excited about getting into my classroom this year would be an understatement.

Last year, I literally interviewed on Monday, got the job Monday evening, went to training from Tuesday every weekday for two weeks, saw my classroom, had four days to prep for open house, and one more day before kids arrived.  This year, I have more than enough time to prepare!  And -- since my husband is away, I can fully dedicate my time (and our house) to classroom facelift the next three weeks (with exception to three days this week due to a conference I have to attend).

My classroom last year now feels like it was an explosion of everything thought to be "elementary".  This year I am taking the "less is more" approach and making things more meaningful to myself and my students.  Our school is older, and in need of the ultimate paint job, so I've gotta make the most of the chipped paint cabinet! Last year's photos (I will update with NEW classroom pics in about 3 weeks):

 From my deskBack of the classroom

Front board

Outside our door

Reading center


Projects that are still in the works are just organizational projects (organizing my planning book, planning lessons, actually getting into my classroom and putting things where they belong), as well as my teacher "stool" I'm working on designing and painting.  It is based in a gray paint, and I'm hoping to just add a lil flair to it with some pink melon color paint, as well as a black initial on the top seat.

So far, I have created my Substitute Binder, as well as my teacher binder, which I've decided will store all my information.  Just seems more practical and functional, rather than having everything in different spots.  I found the Teacher Binder idea/organization through this awesome teacher's blog:  http://beyondthegrades.blogspot.com/2011/10/teacher-binder.html.  I have plenty more to work on according to my Pinterest boards.  Good thing they are boards, and not to-do lists!

I've also made...

Our Job Board
I'm planning on displaying this on the side of my awesome new mailbox system (made of Formica cabinet materials).  I'm super excited about the job board, AND the free mailbox system.  The Job Board is just made of construction paper (or bright colored paper), library card pockets (from the local teaching store), and circle labels (keep reading for more on them).

Our Locator Board
At our school, we are required to display where students are at all times.  This is my new locator board, where each student will be given a magnet or number to "represent" them.  They will be responsible for moving it to wherever they have to go throughout the day.  This was super fun and easy to make.  I got the two large cookie sheets at Ollie's for $6.  The duct tape is from 5Below, and again, I used the circular labels.  I may change where I put "Absent/Present" into their lunch choices (therefore, automatically seeing who is/isn't in class).

As you can tell, I am starting to become obsessed with circle labels.  They are SO easy to use, as well as so easy to print and stick.  They are a lil more expensive than I'd really like to spend, but I used the one packet and don't think i will need anymore.  You get 5 sheets of 12 (so 60 stickers total), so I think that's all I'd really need for the year.  I also used a couple for our home office are to help organize.  At WalMart they are about $6.69 I think...

Welcome Sign
This used to be an old frame without the glass to protect the pictures in the front -- now, it's my new "WELCOME" sign to display outside my classroom.  We have "bulletin board strips" outside of our classrooms, so I'm hoping to display this on top of the strip (with something to bond it to the wall too).  The letters are just printed on bright paper, and then I lined the back of the frame with the same duct tape as the cookie sheet locator board to create some continuity.  I plan on putting the same designer duct tape on some other displays in my room.

My FAVORITE project (and possibly the most "brainless" of them all) are my DIY posters for my classroom.  Last year my kids were dying to see our pup, Nutmeg, so I'd just show them pictures from time to time.  Today, I got to think how cool it would be to create posters from some of her pictures I've taken over the past year.  I decided adding some fun quotes would help spice them up as well.  I remembered used "Picnik" years ago, and today when I went searching, I discovered Google had closed it down.  I did find another awesome photo editor called Lunapic.  It allowed me to change my image in various ways, as well as add text.  That, of course, got me excited!  I, then, remembered something I had seen on Pinterest (I know, imagine that)!  It was a post about "Engineering Prints" for $4.99 or so at Staples.  Of course, I logged into my Staples Copy Center as soon as I could, only to discover you can only do the Engineer Prints black and white.  So, I called Staples (yes, can't you tell how determined I was), and I ran up there (literally two minutes from our house).  The amazing copy lady was able to produce my three "poster size" prints for $6.39!  WOWZER!!!  Those of you teachers are thinking, "Heck yeah - steal of a deal"!  As you know, the classroom can become a money monster if you aren't careful.  I have to say, I am STOKED about how they turned out, and cannot wait for my pup to debut in my classroom!  I just have to trim and laminate them - and put them up!  Here are the results:

This one will be at the mirror!

This one will be in our creation station!

And my fav...
This will be in our reading nook, or above our welcome sign in the hallway.

I have a feeling I will be making more of these posters, and will be continuing to make pics of my pup. I love that the kids love her just because she's so darn adorable -- and if she can "encourage" them with her line of motivational posters -- I see that as a win win.  Who knew she would be such a superstar? :)

What do you think the caption should be for this picture?
I'm thinking of displaying this near our technology/computer table!
Leave a comment with your suggestion!



XOXO,

H and Nutmeg




3 comments:

  1. Not sure about a quote for that last poster. Maybe something about always following tech rules no matter how much you want to play? I don't know. . . I do think that is about the cutest idea I have ever seen and may have to borrow the idea for my classroom! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked but what option did they give you for that price?!?!? I have some logos I made for my classroom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Lauren! I am definitely thinking of a caption about technology to put near our classroom computers. Brianna, I would just suggest going into the store -- I definitely got a cheaper price in store than they were quoting me online!

    ReplyDelete